Summer is here and the sun is shining in Oak Creek! The seasons in Wisconsin are almost winter, winter, still winter and construction! Now that construction season is almost upon us, let’s not spoil the moment with a sunburn. Here are some tips:
- There is no such thing as a healthy tan. Any change to your skin color reflects permanent damage to your skin.
- Use sunscreen with sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.
- Waterproof sunscreen is best.
- Apply sunscreen to any exposed skin including lips, ears and tops of feet.
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out in the sun.
- Reapply every two hours or after swimming or sweating, even when using waterproof sunscreen.
- While sunscreen if good, covering up is better. Men should consider wearing swim shirts. Hats are another good idea.
- Remember that old cliché – made in the shade. But even in the shade, UV rays can reflect off other objects so you should still wear sunscreen.
- No tanning beds!
- Avoid peak sun – 10AM – 4 PM.
Turns out your mom was right. With a little caution, you won’t turn into a pink flamingo. Have a safe and fun summer!